Thursday, December 10th 2009 at 1:15 p.m. to 2:45 p.m.
ECOSOC Chamber, UN Headquarters, New York
Webcasts of the event are available here:
The side event will explore grave and extreme human rights violations and discrimination occurring on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity. Such violations include attacks on the security of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people, extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions, the practice of torture and other cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment or punishment, and arbitrary arrest or detention.
Hans Ytterberg, Director-General, Swedish Ministry of Integration and Gender Equality
- Vivek Divan, Consultant with the UN Development Program, formerly with the
Lawyer’s Collective in India, on the team that won the anti-sodomy law case in Delhi.
- The Rev. Kapya Kaoma, Anglican priest from Zambia now leading churches in the
Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts and PRA Project Director.
- Indyra Mendoza, Director of the Honduran lesbian and feminist organization Cattrachas.
- Victor Mukasa, Program Associate, International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights
Commission, and co-founder of Sexual Minorities Uganda (SMUG).
- Sass Rogando Sasot, Activist, one of the founding members of the Society of Transsexual
Women of the Philippines.
In collaboration with a coalition of non-governmental organisations defending the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people.